“E.G.T.C AMPHICTYONY” consists of Twinned Self-government Organizations of the 1st and 2nd degree, Associations of a Self Government nature as well as Regions of the countries in the Mediterranean and is organized as a civil company of a non-profit nature governed by the provisions of the Articles 741-784 of the Civil Code of the Regulation (EK) 1082/2006 of the European Parliament and the Council of July 5th 2006.
The main aim of E.G.T.C AMPHICTYONY is for the people of the Mediterranean to live in a continuously peaceful environment and one of constant development, financially effective, socially just and environmentally viable with cohesion and security in their areas.
The duties and operational objectives of E.G.T.C AMPHICTYONY that contribute to the achievement of its goal are the following:
- The joint action and co-operation amongst its members and the implementation of actions of territorial co-operation amongst its members with or without the E.U.’s financial contribution.
- The respect in all levels of the principles of freedom, democracy, justice, security and protection of the environment.
- The facilitation and promotion of cross border, interstate and/or interregional co-operation, with a view to reinforcing social and financial cohesion among its members.
- The realization of programs that are co-funded by the European Union (E.U.) through the European Fund of Regional Development, the European Social Fund and/or the Cohesion Fund
- The collaboration with scientific centers and institutions, established in the countries of the Mediterranean, with E.U. institutions and International organizations, Self-government or not.
- Exchange of information, experiences, promotion and application of successful practices among its members
- The research, pursuit, preservation, promotion and utilization of the cultural identity of the Peoples of the Mediterranean towards the safeguarding of intercultural dialogue, the development of bonds of friendship, co-operation, respect and acceptance of diversity.
- Strengthening the participation of the Citizen and the agencies of the Local Societies within the frame of territorial, financial and social collaboration among its members.